Hearty kale often withstands the first frost of the season so it’s likely you’ll find all different varieties through the fall. Here emerald-green lacinato kale gives this salad a garden-fresh look, but any type of kale will work. For the best flavor, toss the salad with the dressing about 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve—the sturdy kale leaves won’t wilt from the dressing and taste even better after they’ve been marinated in it. Thanks to our friends at Green Mountain Farm Direct for sourcing this one for us!
ACTIVE: 30 MIN TOTAL: 30 MIN
TO MAKE AHEAD: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before tossing with the salad. Dress the salad (Step 2) up to 30 minutes ahead.
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 11/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- 10 cups coarsely chopped
- lacinato kale (1-2 large bunches)
- 2 sweet-tart apples, such as
- Golden Russet or Jonagold,
- cut into matchsticks
- 3 cups matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 cup matchstick-cut radishes
- 3/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- To prepare vinaigrette: Puree shallot, vinegar, oil, cider, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a blender or mini food processor until smooth and creamy.
- To prepare salad: Toss kale, apples, carrots, radishes and parsley in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing; toss to coat.